Last Updated: March 18, 2021
Welcome to The Mechanical Licensing Collective (“The MLC”) Musical Works Database. The MLC Musical Works Database (or, the “Database”) contains records of Musical Works, including information about musical compositions, sound recordings and the copyright owners and their respective ownership interests therein.
Federal law requires that The MLC establish and maintain a database available to the public containing information related to Musical Works, including such identifying information about musical compositions, sound recordings and the respective copyright owners. This requirement is described in Section 115(d)(3)(E) of the Copyright Act, and is subject to all associated and applicable current and future rules and regulations promulgated thereunder. The MLC Musical Works Database Terms (“Terms”) set forth herein specifically apply to your access and use of the Database.
1. Database. The Database consists of information provided by digital music providers and by MLC Members (music publishers and publisher administrators, self-administered songwriters and foreign collective management organizations (“CMOs”)), including identification of Musical Works by title, songwriter, publisher, record label and copyright owner(s) with contact information. For information about becoming a Member of The MLC, click here.
In some cases, the copyright ownership information shown for a musical composition or sound recording may not be complete or reflect the entire copyright ownership of such musical composition or sound recording, or in some cases the information may no longer be current at the time such data is accessed through the Database. The Database, and the information contained therein may not be licensable through The MLC. Further, the data contained in online licensing reports and statements may no longer be current at the time such data is accessed through the Database. If you are represented by a music publisher or administrator, and you believe that there are data errors or omissions related to your Musical Works, please notify your music publisher or administrator directly.
Because The MLC must fulfill its statutory duties to establish and maintain this Musical Works Database, The MLC cannot delete accurate information contained in the Database. You may use the data in the Database for any lawful purpose.
2. Access to the Database. The Database can be accessed in three ways: (1) through a publicly accessible search function on The MLC website; (2) by Members through The MLC Portal; and (3) by a bulk download that any member of the public can obtain for a small fee click here to learn more.
3. DISCLAIMER. THE DATABASE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. DATA CONTAINED IN THE DATABASE HAS BEEN PROVIDED TO THE MLC BY COPYRIGHT OWNERS, LICENSEES, AND OTHERS AND THE MLC MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE DATA MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE DATABASE. THE MLC SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY ON THE PART OF ANY PARTY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES WHICH MAY BE INCURRED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF THE DATABASE OR THE INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN, OR FOR ANY OMISSIONS OR ERRORS CONTAINED IN THE DATABASE.
4. Modification of the Terms. The MLC reserves the right, at its discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time for any reason, and may give notice of such changes through any reasonable means of providing notice, including a change to the Database which is valid notice as of the “Last Updated” date set forth above. All changes shall be effective immediately upon the date of providing notice of such change. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. Your continued use of the Database after the posting of changes constitutes your binding acceptance of such changes.
5. Definitions. Any capitalized terms not defined herein shall have the same meaning as set forth in the Copyright Act (17 USC 101 et seq.).