Songwriters, composers and lyricists are considered self-administered if they have retained the right to register their own musical works with The MLC AND collect their own mechanical royalties directly or through a business manager, accountant, lawyer or other representative/agent.
If you have assigned your rights to register your musical works and collect your mechanical royalties in the United States to a music publisher or administrator, you will not need to become a Member of The MLC. Your publisher or administrator will handle your collection and registration. If you work with a music publisher or administrator in any capacity, please check with that music publisher or administrator before becoming a Member of The MLC.
Preparing for Membership
The links below provide information on the next steps you can take to learn more about The MLC.
You can start the sign-up process simply by clicking the Connect to Collect® button below. Completing the sign-up process is the first step you'll need to take to ensure you are in position to receive digital audio mechanical royalties from The MLC.
Once you complete the sign-up process and have created your Member profile in The MLC Portal, you'll be able to:
- Review detailed information regarding your existing works registrations;
- Edit those existing works registrations to make sure your data is as accurate as possible;
- Create and submit new registrations for musical works not yet registered with The MLC;
- Manage and update your contact information, banking instructions, and tax forms; and
- Invite other users from your organizations to set up their own user accounts under your MLC Member profile.
Should you have any questions as you complete the sign-up process, please don't hesitate to contact The MLC Support Team here or by phone (615-488-3653).